Logo

Mariner 402002 2 str ran like a champ after overhauls two days later dead as a doornail?

hi,
Engine had been reluctant to start and running rough, pulled off upper cyl HT lead while it ran and since that made no difference to how badly it was running concluded that a new HT lead was in order.
Cleaned carb. replaced both CDM units and HT cables mainly because HTs looked doubtful.
Started and ran like a champ and when the wife came home that evening I demonstrated smugly that one pull starts it and its running way better now.
Left it 2 days haven't been able to get a cough out of it since.
Fuel is getting to the carb, the fuel pump is squirting fuel when cord is pulled and both plugs are sparking, if I didn't know better i would say the dead-mans cut out is on!
Is it possible for the plugs to be getting spark but not enough to start her up??
Could this be a stator or trigger issue and how do I test that???
Thanks.

Update: fuel is going to fuel bowl, pumping fuel line bulb pushes down fuel level in filter bowl and it rises again between bulb squeezes, after a few squeezes the bulb is good and hard and filter bowl is full, so I don't think I have fuel supply line problem.
Carb float bowl is full whenever I take carb off and boy have I taken off and on and off again, cleaning with carb clean and airline.
Tried a squirt of fuel into the carb throat gave it a pull and it started very willingly so no ignition or kill switch problem. Killed it and it will not start again.
I conclude problem is an airlock ???? in carb stopping fuel going to engine?
The float chamber drain plug is worn and has a copper instead of a paper washer and allows a slight drool of fuel from float chamber. I don't know if that could draw air and cause the problem???

Spring on choke plate pivot pin is damaged so choke plate only closes part of way but this would not account for complete unwillingness to give any response to prolonged swinging own pull cord since it would in this (warm) weather eventually start even without choke??

Sorry did not mean to question your advice, of course the choke should be done.
Unfortunately choke is fixed now and not making a difference.
Pulled the carb again last night and cleaned all over again.
First pull with carb back on it gave a hopeful cough and slight puff of smoke but totally unresponsive after that.
Again it will start with a squirt of fuel into air intake but stops as soon as it has burned that off.
The only thing I have not done is remove the little jets from the carb body, I have just shot them through with carb clean and air.
When float is up the fuel intake pipe on float bowl resists me blowing into it ( ie its closed). With float falling down the passage is open so ti seems to work.
Can the float deny fuel to the engine if set wrongly??

Uodate II:
decided there was no cleaner carburettor in the West, but she still would not go.
Squirted some fuel in air intake she started up gunned it and kept it going. Its now running from own tank and restarting whenever I stop it. Will try again each day to see if reliable.
Was it a plug of air in the fuel pump???

Back