Logo

Mariner 100hp 4 cylinder no spark

big_al

"has any one got any ideas as

"has any one got any ideas as to what might be wrong I have replaced the flyweel,the stater,the trigger and the switch box I have also had the coils tested and have checked all of the wireing but still can not find any faults.but still have no spark. thank you alan."

"Alan,

Disconnect the engin

"Alan,

Disconnect the engine harness and crank the engine by applying 12 volts to the yellow/orange striped wire on the starter solonoid.

If you get spark, there is a problem with the ignition switch or the stop circuit.

The engine should also have a mercury switch which prevents the engine from starting when in the raised position, by grounding out the ignition. Disconnect the switch and see if you get spark, or check the switch with an ohm meter.

Tony"

Thank you Tony i have tried th

Thank you Tony i have tried that but still no joy this problem only started when i had to replace the flywheel at first i only had 2 cylinders fireing but now i have replaced all the new parts ther is no spark at all the only things left to replace are the coils but people are telling me that they would not have thought that all 4 coils would break down like that .

"Alan,

It is very unlikely

"Alan,

It is very unlikely that all four coils would break down at the same time, but not impossible.

Why did you have to replace the flywheel? What kind of components did you use when you replaced everything?

You really need to start at the beginning and test each component. You need a peak reading voltmeter to do this accurately, but since there is no spark at all you might get by with an ordinary multi-meter. An analog meter is more useful for this purpose, unless of course you have a peak reading meter.

Start with the stator. Check for A/C voltage between each stator lead and ground. You should notice a good reading here.

Check the trigger next. Disconnect the trigger leads at the switchbox, and test them separately. Red lead on a trigger lead; black lead to ground. Meter set on milli-amperes. You will not get a true reading, but you will notice the needle jump on an analog meter.

Next test switchbox output. Again, you won't get a true reading, but with the meter set on D/C voltage, you will get a good jump on the needle.

If any of these tests show no movement on the needle, you probably have found the problem.

Are you sure that you used the proper flywheel? There is some variation here. Some look interchangeable, but are not.

Tony"

Hi tony thanks for getting bac

Hi tony thanks for getting back to me i had to replace flywheel because the magnets worked lose and broke the only test meter that i have is a digital rapitest multi meter can i still test everything if so how can i do so thanks for your time and patiance. alan

"Alan,

Digital meters just

"Alan,

Digital meters just give phantom readings when testing the trigger. It is tough to decide if there is any voltage or not. With an analog meter, even though you won't get a meaningful reading, you can see the needle jump a bit. If the needle does not move at all, the trigger is not working. You will get a decent reading on the stator, but it will probably not be accurate.

Did you buy the replacement parts from a dealer or another source. Was it a red stator that you used?

Tony"

Back