Logo

lubricant to use in 1985 OMC Stringer Intermediate Housing Tilt Clutch Assy

Hello , I heard different lubes to use for 1985 OMC Stringer Intermediate Housing Tilt Clutch Assy.
The manual says 30wt oil. I found 80/90 gear lube in mine, And some say pack the assy with marine grease.
What you you say.
Thanks paul
 
The manual must say 30wt for a reason. JMO


Thank you for your input. 30 wt makes sense.
All three oil and lubes were told to me from people,
Even the 30wt from a manual was told to me by a person.
I was not sure if the manual from the person was the right book for my boat.
I have the right manual on order, in transit.

I'm a inboard boat person, simple straight forward system.
A velvet drive,borg warner uses Dexron II
A Harley clutch pack uses 20-50 oil
A GM vehicle uses Dexron II, III, IV
So OMC uses 30wt.

omc clutch assy.jpg
 
30w was the most common lube back then I really dont think it matters. It is a simple worm drive system my old rotor tiller was packed with grease. I would put a marine grade gear-oil due to water intrusipn it maintains lube properties unlike engine oil.
 
30w was the most common lube back then I really dont think it matters. It is a simple worm drive system my old rotor tiller was packed with grease. I would put a marine grade gear-oil due to water intrusipn it maintains lube properties unlike engine oil.


I just received the OMC stringer Service Manual,
It clearly states OMC Premium 4 cycle motor oil,
OR OMC HI-VIS Gearcase Lube
 
Back
Top