Logo

LS3 480hp 6.2l coupled to Bravo III X

Monomotapo

I have designed, patented & prototype proven a boat that is nearing production, but I have issues with the power & propulsion. The prototype at 1.5t was driven by a 225hp Mercury 3l efi, but the production model at 2.5t will not work, or at best struggle, with an outboard configuration, so inboard/sterndrive is the only option (had to discard surface drives and jets). Weight is critical to getting on the plane (see website www.seaski.com.au) and GM's LS3 has the right weight/muscle ratio (220kg/480hp) with the Bravo III X (say 75kg or 165lb and rated to about 530hp gas/petrol engines) which has a 3in extension option that will just keep the prop in water contact when our vessel is skiing/planning. Most boat developers have a development team: mine is me, me & me, who knows very little about inboard/sterndrives and far too old to learn from my mistakes....I'll run out of time at my rate of learning! I know the contributors to this forum have an unparalleled wealth of knowledge and experience, and hope your generosity extends to my predicament.

Briefly, I know MerCruiser already couple similar GM LS engines to Bravos', but the ones used are either too light on hp, or overweight when getting near or above 500hp.

My proposal is to run the LS3 (alloy head and block) with an auto-style enclosed cooling system using an aluminium radiator.

Could anybody advise me what my biggest problems are likely to be? Did I hear somebody say, "where do I start?".

I believe a first requirement is for a water cooled exhaust manifold (where do you get them) and that there could be coupling issues, flywheel to sterndrive? Would there be any good educational sites or manuals that should be consulted, or things I should know about helm/sterndrive controls? I know these are very open ended questions, but even the smallest, seemingly trivial advice will be appreciated!

I have designed, patented & prototype proven a boat that is nearing production, but I have issues with the power & propulsion. The prototype at 1.5t was driven by a 225hp Mercury 3l efi, but the production model at 2.5t will not work, or at best struggle, with an outboard configuration, so inboard/sterndrive is the only option (had to discard surface drives and jets). Weight is critical to getting on the plane (see website www.seaski.com.au) and GM's LS3 has the right weight/muscle ratio (220kg/480hp) with the Bravo III X (say 75kg or 165lb and rated to about 530hp gas/petrol engines) which has a 3in extension option that will just keep the prop in water contact when our vessel is skiing/planning. Most boat developers have a development team: mine is me, me & me, who knows very little about inboard/sterndrives and far too old to learn from my mistakes....I'll run out of time at my rate of learning! I know the contributors to this forum have an unparalleled wealth of knowledge and experience, and hope your generosity extends to my predicament.

Briefly, I know MerCruiser already couple similar GM LS engines to Bravos', but the ones used are either too light on hp, or overweight when getting near or above 500hp.

My proposal is to run the LS3 (alloy head and block) with an auto-style enclosed cooling system using an aluminium radiator.
Yer surrounded by Water, use a water to water heat exchanger like boats do now, not enough air flow for a radiator,...
Could anybody advise me what my biggest problems are likely to be? Did I hear somebody say, "where do I start?".

I believe a first requirement is for a water cooled exhaust manifold (where do you get them) and that there could be coupling issues, flywheel to sterndrive?
Sterndrives now use a coupler that matches the bolt pattern of a standard shift Clutch pressure plate, no need to re-invent that,...
Would there be any good educational sites or manuals that should be consulted, or things I should know about helm/sterndrive controls? I know these are very open ended questions, but even the smallest, seemingly trivial advice will be appreciated!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Cool lookin' boat,....

Oughta ride nice in the chop....

2X on the water cooled heat exchanger...

All your aluminum needs to be finished to protect it from the salt if you want it to have a decent service life.

perfprotech.com is one place where you can get a good sampling of what already exists...don't know if they export though.

finally, I'd suggest you approach the propulsion system as an integrator, assembling what you need from existing sources vs. trying to fab your own stuff (custom made). Probably won't succeed 100% but minimizing those activities will help you get rolling.

Thank you all very much for your advice and excuse my tardiness in not replying earlier, but I had to be away for a few days.
Boat_Tech - your info or pointer to the Merc sterndrive installation manual was worth a great deal and is now part of my "reference library". I had checked the Ilmor (good product, but with a weight disadvantage for me) and the Volvo 380hp v8 (also mentioned by pismo10) which is also from the GM stable & has some excellent features, but is 100 horses less than the LS3 for about the same weight.
Bondo - I will go with your advice re the heat exchanger, especially since finding a stainless steel exhaust manifold/riser with 5 year warranty made by a company just up the road from me (http://www.hitekmarine.com.au)! This unit is also claimed to up the hp of v8 motors by up to 40hp. You are right about our prototype handling the chop well; I've had it at 75 km/h (40 knots) in 1.2m average seas pointing it in all directions.
Makomark - Likewise will go with your recommendation to go the integrator route and thanks for the pointer to PPT, what a great range they have of everything!
I appreciate all your input!

Bill (aka Bondo) just mentioned what I was about to mention regarding a "Closed Cooling System" in lieu of an automotive radiator system.
Liquid (aka sea water) will be far superior at heat transfer/removal than what air can provide.

2X on the water cooled heat exchanger...

All your aluminum needs to be finished to protect it from the salt if you want it to have a decent service life.
I forgot to mention that we are looking at "wrapping" the aluminium above the waterline. There are a few who do it like Orca and this one from Australia who might be one of their agents/franchisees, http://www.planetwrap.com.au/Products.ews. It seems to offer some good advantages without a killer price!

perfprotech.com is one place where you can get a good sampling of what already exists...don't know if they export though.

finally, I'd suggest you approach the propulsion system as an integrator, assembling what you need from existing sources vs. trying to fab your own stuff (custom made). Probably won't succeed 100% but minimizing those activities will help you get rolling.

Thanks again for our input, much appreciated, Trevor.

Back