Logo

Lower yoke mount question please

Billyjack

New member
Hello all! Looking for some advice. My 1997 200xl 2stroke (460 hours) has some ugly lower yoke bolts, which I assume is typical. It all looks solid, and I don't have a ton of play in the steering swivel pin. But I decided to take the two plastic covers off the the lower mount plates, and discovered that the cast pieces that attach to the rubber mounts were snapped (see pic).
1788736311075.jpeg





So I carefully removed them, and underneath, they were quite corroded (another pic).
1788736513080.jpeg





I dremel'd them with a wire brush bit and they came up nicely (pic).
1788736246901.jpeg


The question is, should i just slap on the new cast pieces ( nabbed two good ones off EEbay), or is there something I can apply to them prior to inhibit further corrosion? Is it possible that the corrosion build-up literally snapped the mount cover plates? They seem to be original to me, again engine only has 460 hours.

Also, I'll be doing the whole steering swivel pin replacement with a stainless one over the winter. Big job, but I'm down for it.

Many thanks in advance for any input! This forum has been a huge help so far.
 
Back
Top