Logo

Lower unit seals leaking 2001 200 hp ox66 replacing

looked in the manual apparante

looked in the manual apparantely their are two seals on prop shaft and two under the water pump. anybody ever replace them under a shade tree? what about special tools or did you adapt your own. i searched the forum for a "how to" and could get a hit. thanks

"you need to replace 5 seals a

"you need to replace 5 seals and the 2 gaskets on the screws if you want to do it right
2 water pump seals
2 prop shaft
bearing carrier
vent and drain gaskets

if the boat is used in salt, you might need heat

you will need a gear puller or slide hammer"

"just in time and anybody else

"just in time and anybody else. yes i would do it right......BUT a funny thing happened. yesterday while draining the unit, the oil coming out looked new. however, when it went into a clean and dry container it looked milky. today i went out to throw the oil away and the color changed and it looked and smelt perfect. also did pressure test, manual says 14.2 for 10 second. mine did not do that but dropped to 10 psi and held that for sometime. in fact when i disconnected the tester an hour later it still read 10. somebody mentioned condensation since i drained it right after it ran. also, found out a vacuum test will not work on that unit because of how the seals are located.

any idea on the mysterious color change??"

"condensation like you said

"condensation like you said

never check after you run it, i like to let it sit 2 hrs

best is pressure test and put it in water to see if air bubbles come out"

Back