Logo

Lower unit disassembly

1991Sonar

New member
I have a 1989 mercury 135 hp outboard. I can't find any videos of this particular lower unit. I am having an issue removing the bearing for further disassembly. The bearing is directly behind the carrier bearing unit. Any known videos or advice would be appreciated.
 
I have a 1989 mercury 135 hp outboard. I can't find any videos of this particular lower unit. I am having an issue removing the bearing for further disassembly. The bearing is directly behind the carrier bearing unit. Any known videos or advice would be appreciated.
So, you removed the bearing carrier retainer and stainless tab ring, but the carrier won't come out? You're not trying to rotate it, are you? It has a small key that's meant to prevent rotation. Are you using a puller? It's supposed to slide straight out. I used PB Blaster around the perimeter the first time I disassembled mine.
 
Back
Top