Logo

Lost prop power evinrude 140 1989 model

steve

Contributing Member
Today I was cruising at 4500r

Today I was cruising at 4500rpm when all of a sudden the prop lost power. I pulled the motor to idle and the prop continued to turn and propelled me at low speed. When I powered up again it was like the prop was slipping. What happened do you think. Is it in the drive shaft or gearbox. It did not make any unusual noises.

Regards

" Steve.... The propeller actu

" Steve.... The propeller actually consists of three items, a bronze hub that is splined to the propshaft, a vaulcanized rubber shock, and the propeller itself.

The vaulcanized rubber attaches the hub to the propeller sort of like a automotive motor mount assy. If not for the vaulcanized rubber which absorbs shock, the propshaft etc could suffer damage quite easily.

Occasionally the vaulcanized rubber seperates somewhat from the prop or hub which allows the propeller to "slip". This is most commonly referred to as having the "hub slip", which no doubt is your problem.

The cure is to have the prop "re-hubbed" which can be done at any shop that excels in propeller repairs. If you know of no such shop, check the yellow pages or have your local marine dealership serve as the middle man with the prop repairs.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back