Logo

looking for year and oil ratio based on photo

h2ofwlr

A local young man bought this, all he knows is that it's a Johnson 10hp. he can't find any tags for the serial or model #.
Any idea of the year range of it based on the photo?
And then what would be the corresponding oil ratio be for it?

Some guys were telling him go with 50 to 1, but I recall stuff from the '50s being 16 to 1

10hp.jpg

pictures from the side and with the motor hood removed will help. Also, pics of the complete motor with the lower unit visible too and a close up of any welch plugs as they are probably stamped with model # info.

At first glance I'd say it's an early 60's motor. 50:1 might be okay with today's 2-stroke oil, but 24:1 might the original ratio.

That's alls the photos that I have for now.

I figured the distinctive "flares" off the back of the motor would be a tell tale sign of age.

I asked if it has points/condenser as that is a indicator of age too, but he has not responded to me yet.

That hood shape would have it as a 1959 10hp model. The mixture ratio needs to me 25/1... 1qt of 50/1 oil to 6gal gas.

That motor needs 24:1 to help protect the wrist pins. Even at that mix, they eventually will beat themselves loose. Possibly might have already done it. Need a simple test to evaluate it. 50:1, Not!!!

Last edited:
1959 or 1960....if it has a 2 line fuel connection it's a 1959.....1960 and later had single hose fuel lines. The number on the plate on the transom bracket would give you an exact way of identifying the motor. With that information, go to the model number guide at the top of this page and the mystery will be over.

Back