Logo

Looking for info on year and model of my 2 stroke outboard motor

SorenHansen

New member
Hi everybody

I am looking for exact year and model of my new acquicision, a Mercury two stroke outboard motor. It should be a 7,5 or 9,8 hp motor, but no decals about that.
Data I have:
Brown decals, suggesting it should be a 1984.
Serial 9403846, can't find anything around that
Identification plate also says:
Mercury Outboards
Marinepower
Europe Inc.
B4822 Verviers
Belgium

20151124_092240.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you
Soren
 
1984 or 85 model.-----Search for the Belgian serial number list if you must.----Is there a decal that says " comet " near the intake ports ?
 
Hello racerone and thank you.

Where do I find the Belgian serial numbers list ?

Yes there are a decal saying comet right under the orange

20151124_091944.jpg
 
I`m putting it as 1978 Belgian the last year for the 9.8 I believe. Look at the numbers on the carb and you may be able to determine if its 7.5 or 9.8

Here comes the big problem, it came from prohibition Sweeden, and has been restricted to 5 hp, so I'm afraid that the carburettor has been changed, and that is why I need to identify the model, so that I can get the right carburettor, but thank you anyway
 
I'll have to strip of the carb, but it have to wait for a while, as the snow is about 1½ foot high here in Denmark right now, and I don't have a warm place to do it
 
The COMET sticker identifies it as a 7.5 model , at least that is where I am.--The COMET blocks had smaller intake ports compared to the 9.8 models.---You may find that the carburetor has a restrictor between it and the block.---------Doubt that they would install a completely different carburetor.--------Do not buy a different carburetor without checking this out !!!-----And the 9.8 models were made way past 1978 too !!-----------------You simply use "google " and put in ---------belgian serial numbers mercury-----------And the list is there.--------I use the EDIT function to keep the total # of posts to a minimum !!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top