Logo

Looking for a part number

eastcoastitalian

Contributing Member
the engine is a 1978 penta bb140 i'm trying to find a part number or where to order the anode type ring that is in the #4"rear most cylinder" exhaust port,at the exhaust manifold??mine is pitted down to about nothing and i can't seem to find this part or a part number for it.i've looked through tons of schematics and it's never pictured in any.thanks for any help.

I don't remember a part number but what you are describing was a ring that was pressed into the cyl head AFTER one used the special cutter that was mounted to the exhaust port using the threaded holes for the manifold bolts. Volvo realized they had a problem with the #4 hole and came out with this fix. It really worked quite well, as I did many of them years ago. It was a shop owned tool so I don't have the kit or you could use it.
You might try sea & ski marine in Costa Mesa, Ca and I know Harry's Marine, Orange Ca., had the kit as that's the one I used for many years but I think Harry retired this past year. A GOOD V/P shop that knows it's AQ series drives will have that tool.

If I have understood this over the years, the #4 exhaust port issue is most often caused by the exhaust manifold's outlet proximity to the sea water mixing chamber.

I would think that a qualified machine shop would have the equipment necessary to mill the exhaust port, and to also machine the insert.
The cylinder head can be heated, and the insert can be chilled just prior to installation. Yes/No????

Back