Logo

Long Hub Prop on Standard (Short) Shaft

jeffnick

Regular Contributor
Is there really a difference in the propellers? It looks like the longer long hub thrust washer takes up all of the extra shaft length and the long hub plastic washer is just a substitute for the bendy tab standard hub washer?Looks like I could just mount the long hub propeller on my short hub by using my regular short hub hardware?

Are we talking about the AQ series drives?

This is much more involved than Long/Short hub, and goes into the drive model.

250/270/275 require the short spacer/line cutter.
280 and later, require the long spacer/line cutter.
NO substitutes.
Either nets the same prop shaft exposure when the correct spacer is used.

Early 280 and all 270's and earlier, are not threaded for the spinner keeper bolt.
This means that the long hub prop is not easily adaptable to a non-internally threaded shaft, since the shaft splines do not sit proud of the hub.
Of which means that the SS tab washer cannot be used to secure the spinner.

Now.... there are both long hub props......, and long blade hub props.
The long blade hubs do not necessarily have a long inner hub.
The long blade hubs will generally offer the tab washer slots (in order to reach in and bend the tabs).

Of the prop shafts that are internally threaded for the spinner keeper bolt, any combination can be used as long as the two pc spinner is used.
Short hub uses both pieces of the spinner.
Long hub uses the AFT-most piece of the spinner w/ the keeper bolt.

If you were to own the two pc spinner, you've covered all bases.
images

Make sense?

There are no threads on my standard shaft. If I drill and tap and get the 2 piece spinner would I then be able to use the long shaft prop?

There are no threads on my standard shaft. If I drill and tap and get the 2 piece spinner would I then be able to use the long shaft prop?
Jeff, again, there is no long/short prop shaft when the correct and necessary spacer is used.
Each drive's respective prop shaft nets the same identical length of splines.
The length of the prop hubs do change "long" -vs- "short".

As for drilling/tapping the prop shaft:
First.... the OEM threads are "roll formed" and I doubt that you could reproduce these.
Secondly...... if you were to use either a "roll form" or a "thread cutting" tap, you will expose unprotected carbon steel. It will rust up almost immediately, causing all kinds of issues.

You'd be better off installing a 275 prop shaft, if you now have a 270.
Or.... installing a later 280/290 prop shaft, if you now have an early un-threaded 280 shaft.

Since the shaft's driven gear shoulder, the driven gear, the angular contact bearing and the shaft nut all butt up against one another, a shaft change can be made with NO changes to the shim control.
IOW.... the actual shaft dimensions (from one shaft to another) do not play a role in that this would require re-shimming for gear set up.
Throw new seals and carrier O-rings in while doing it.

It's quite easy to do!

Thanks for being patient. I think I finally understand. Mine is an Aquamatic 250...OEM props are so expensive I was exploring the options. For now I'll just bite the bullet and get the VP OEM 13p prop for my houseboat and I'll keep my eye put for parts for the shaft swap.

There are some differences in these that aren't allways obvious. Mine is an older 280 outdrive with the 4 cylinder gear ratio. The shaft is not drilled and I use the locking tab washer.

Here's a picture of a long hub prop on an older AQ280:
P1010275.JPG P1010276.JPG

Here are the short hub and long hub props side by side:
P1010277.JPG

Here's what the short hub prop looks like when on the shaft. The 280 line cutter is installed but there is no need for a spacer. There is enough splined shaft showing for the locking tab washer. This shaft is NOT threaded.
P1010278.JPG

I ended up trading the 4 bladed prop in the pictures for the same thing in the short hub version.

Old thread but for others who might be interested...
I had a chance to try a long hub prop on my 250 short hub propeller outdrive. I have the two piece spinner. I can say with out a doubt that a Solas long hub will not work on a shaft that is not threaded. There are no splines left for the bendy tab lock washer. Not that you'd be able to run it this way, but I even took off the line cutter to see if I would have more shaft sticking out - Nope -- the propeller splines bottom out on the shaft splines before there's any splines available behind the prop. There are enough threads behind the long hub prop to put the on spinner, but there's no way to lock it if the shaft isn't threaded.

Jeff, that is correct.
In order to properly install a long hub propeller onto any AQ series prop shaft, the shaft must be internally threaded for the AFT-most portion of the 2 pc spinner's locking bolt. These shafts did not become internally threaded until the 280 was introduced.

I've posted on this subject many times...... try doing a search using my name in the search criteria..... you'll find the threads.

Thanks for being patient. I think I finally understand. Mine is an Aquamatic 250...OEM props are so expensive I was exploring the options. For now I'll just bite the bullet and get the VP OEM 13p prop for my houseboat and I'll keep my eye put for parts for the shaft swap.

Might have a used, decent condition one in the back of my shed... 15 in dia.

Back