Logo

Locked up lm 318

Has it already been bored once before and, if so, presumably 30-over? If not, 30's pretty safe.

People regularly go 60-over on 318’s but, as dime-a-dozen as these blocks are, I think I'd lean towards tossing one before going to 60. You can bore in smaller increments but the issue with that could be finding pistons for that particular bore.

Thanks Bog

Reading the old book(service Manual) they claim 40 over is the max but I still gotta get the piston out, dropped the pan for the first time and learned how not to do that,damn studs

looks like one of the crankshaft journals hit the piston a serated the journal

The 2 I have in the boat are good for now ,I pick this Locked up one for the parts and such for backups or to rebuild and replace one in the silverton,a guy rebuilt it but it locked up right away an sat int the yard for 5 years

Ill stay with the chryslers when I do I like the setup and the manifolds, raw water pump,and the FWC system

of course Id like the 360 for some more ponies but I think that some key parts arent interchangeable

Acctually I hear the 340 was the top dog back in the day

Ive been looking for a LA auto block to put the marine parts in

1 mans trash is another mans treasure:)

Attachments

• tug14.jpg
    tug14.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 84
Well,did the final tear down today........number 2(left of the distributor)had gotten some water in it from what I call the metal intake gasket without gasket sealant(just happens to be a block off on that side for the cooling passage) and the motor is tilted so when the its full of water, water can easily leak in and it went in to the intake chamber and settled around the tappets
Also noticed that the connecting rods were number on one side,were they mate at the cap
the way they had it number was like a chevy guy would number his cylinders,trying to figure out if that would matter (number 1 being front left of the water pumpside,staggered)
Then where the crankshaft fillet was drilled for wieght/balanceit had serated at the drilled out hole,seems like that had to be the way it was installed but it just happened to be where the number 2 piston had froze up,when I got the crankshaft out it seemed that journal and fillet were bent but Ill have to have that checked at the machine shop
couple broken rings where found as well on other piston
trying to identify the cam and crankshaft just to see if it is what its supposed to be
theres a 19 on the crank and a A 20 on the cam thats all I could see
Just getting familiar with the internals!
bout a 9 on the grease scale(half a roll of papertowels,10 squirts from the fast orange)

The 360 has a a different oil pan and the one engine mount is off a little. I forget which side but I think there is a adapter
out there if you don't want to drill new holes. Also the fly wheels are different. The 360 has an externally balanced one, other
than that I think everything else swaps out.

Jack

I have*HEARD the pan can be fabricated to fit and the Flywheel COULD be drilled out, are the 360s worth the change for 31 Silverton or is it more gas to burn ? Either way I have a ton of the parts for the 318 that was a points ignition and has the original style exchager in , I know somebody could use I just finished putting all new stuff on the other 2 and wont be using this stuff I ll hold on to some stuff but willing to pack a box up and ship it out to somebody In need ,like I said before its was put together with new parts 5 years ago and he went to fire it and lock up
I even got the 2 log style mannies Barr Marine (in a box with some stainless studs)style with a custom welded drystack setup with a magnaFlow exhaust:)*straight out the top
I would consider giving somebody a deal on these mannies*and other parts*
The reason Im not putting them on is because I have osco and want to keep everything the same for prefence
If anybodys interested let me know and Ill make it worth your while

Back