Logo

LM340 factory distributor advance specs...

SuperBeeIII

I've run across a bunch of threads here with a Google search that are related to an issue I'm having. Apparently, I do not have the correct Prestolite distributor in my "Super Bee III" powered Chrysler S-III.
I see a lot of discussions about only finding the base timing spec for these marine engines. I have an original LM340 Chrysler Marine Engine Service Manual that may shed some light for those looking for factory distributor advance curve specs. Note there are two sets of specs apparently depending on the part number of the installed distributor. I have no idea why there are more specs for the second set of numbers. Also note these are "distributor RPM" and not engine RPM specs.
Here's what it shows:

DISTRIBUTOR
Chrysler Part No. 2444983
Advance (automatic centrifugal)
Distributor Degrees at Distributor RPM 0 @ 275 to 425
0 to 7.5 @ 425
6 to 8 @ 550

Chrysler Part No. 3438830 and 3675973
Advance (automatic centrifugal)
Distributor Degrees at Distributor RPM 0 to 2.5 @ 450
5 to 7 @ 600
8 to 10 @ 700
11 to 13 @ 1600
13 to 15 @ 2200

Are you sure you want to open that can of worms? The illusive advance curve has been exposed you can expect homeland security to be knocking on your door for exposing classified documents:) The second curve is closer to anything I have found with a agressive curve. It is still not clear but I assume it is not all in at 4400 rpms. Say your base timing is 2.5 degrees at 900rpms you want to see 15.5 to 17.5 degrees total advance at 4400 rpms? Add your base timing to the progressive advance and double the rpms and compare it to you numbers.

LOL....yeah, from what I've seen, this has been rather elusive, but I'm just the messenger here. :D
I can relay some of the other specs from the manual if needed, but I guess the main two of interest would be base timing, which it says is 5 BTDC and dwell is shown as 27-32.
Don't know about the big blocks, but I would imagine that the marine 318 would have very similar, if not identical specs...although (disclaimer!) that is pure speculation on my part.

Back