Logo

LM318 Cast Aluminum Oil Pan

earlymopar

New member
I have a small leak on my die cast oil pan where it fits around the timing cover on a 318 Chrysler. I know the pan (side) rails use a conventional automotive oil pan style gasket and that the rear main bearing and front timing cover (end) seals use an extruded rubber seal that fits into machined grooves at each end of the oil pan. I have no questions on the side gaskets but wonder if there are any recommendations for how best to seal the ends of the pan:

- Add the extruded end seals into the machined grooves (dry) and install the pan?

- Add sealant to the grooves, add the end seals on top of the sealant and then top-coat the seals with additional sealant before installing the pan?

- Forget about the extruded end seals and overfill the machined oil pan grooves with sealant (RTV or other) and then install the pan?
 
the factory service manual I have calls for a "drop of RTV" at the corners where the side and end gaskets overlap...if you are worried about the end gaskets leaking thru the grooves, a thin coat of Permatex #3 could be added...
 
I've typically used RTV there in automotive applications but thought I'd ask about the Permatex #3 due to my unfamiliarity with that product.
 
Back
Top