Logo

LM 318 Carbs

mickeydd

"Hey guys, I have twin 318&#39

"Hey guys, I have twin 318's on my 32' Trojan. One side starts up on the second crank. My stbd side takes forever to kick. Now on my port side I can prime the engine by pumping trottle. You can hear the fuel going into the Carb. On the stbd side I cant prime it. Theres a little plunger like thing where the trottle cable runs too.

My ????? is, is there any way to fix this without removing carb or do I need a new carb all together. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks Vernon"

"That's the accelerator pu

"That's the accelerator pump. It can prime the carb but it is also there to add extra fuel when you accellerate the engine. Additional air for the acceleration is easy but extra fuel through the carb and metering jets would be too late, so the accelerator pump shoots extra fuel when we rev the throttle. If the linkage is still connected and you can confirm that it is plunging, but no extra shot is pumping, then you need to replace the plunger. It uses a leather (that's right, leather) gasket or lip on the plunger. The leather can deteriorate with gas additives and carb cleaner. It's very easy to replace. In fact, you can leave the base of the carb on the engine. The top half can be removed to expose the plunger. A rebuild kit will contain the new plunger for the pump and a lot of other gaskets, springs, o-rings and other parts that you won't need. Take care not to drop any screws down the carb. Removing the whole carb is very simple. 4 nuts, unhook throttle and choke linkages and the fuel line and PCV hose.

If the extra shot is just weak, you can increase the extra shot my moving the rod to the hole closest to the carb body. This increases the speed and volume of the pump shot."

"Here's a picture of a rep

"Here's a picture of a replacement pump plunger that may or may not fit your carb. I used to own the same boat. I assume the carbs are Carter AFB's.
215145.jpg
"

"Peter...thanks a million. You

"Peter...thanks a million. You have been a great help. Yea thats right on the money what it is. I'll look up the specs on my carb, all I know is that their 4 barrels.
I'll try around here locally to see if I can find one.
Again Thanks"

Back