Logo

Leaky head gasket

"Yes, Kudos for be willing to

"Yes, Kudos for be willing to get dirty!

To expand on Jeff's point, make sure you get the deck cleaned up ('flat' area where the head gasket goes.) you can use a metal straight edge to check for high spots that may have been missed - it should lay flat on the deck with no 'rocking'."

"Just finished putting in a ne

"Just finished putting in a new head gasket. Had a problem after we got it together. Engine was locked up. Pulled the plugs and put trans fluid in holes. Tried to wrench the pulley still wouldn't turn. Took the starter off and using a pry bar we spun the flywheel one click at a time, after 2 revolutions we were able to turn it with a wrench. Put the starter in and she fired right up. It is running hot though. I'm thinking it could be a vapor lock. Any other ideas?"

"Hmmmm, if it was locked up, i

"Hmmmm, if it was locked up, it sounds like it had been sitting for awhile and then you had to do your thing to get it going. My first thought would be an inefficient water pump. Perhaps you backed the impeller when "wrenching" the engine and a couple of blades dropped off and perhaps just partially plugged the pump outlet.

My first try would be water pump....and then ...????"

Water seemed to be circulating

Water seemed to be circulating because I forgot to tighten a hose clamp and water was shooting out.

"clogged and/or rusty risers c

"clogged and/or rusty risers cause higher than normal water pressure, but lower flow. If the overheating continues at low speed, consider changing the thermostat."

You might think about putting

You might think about putting some of the tablets in the coolant like GM does on their new engines. I should help to keep some leaks from occuring. You can buy them at GM parts counters.

How did you get it back togeth

How did you get it back together without spinning it over? You have to rotate the crank to set the distributor and certainly to adjust the valves. You did adjust the valves...I hope.

"I adjusted the timing after i

"I adjusted the timing after it was put together. Got it close then adjusted it. Heads were sent to a machine shop and valves redone. Rockers are crank down there is no adjustment, it's a gen V."

"fwc or raw water?

if fwc&#

"fwc or raw water?

if fwc'ed, did you follow the filling instructions in the manual? I've done mine a few times and, though not difficult, it does seem to take a while to get all the air out.

out of curiousity, why did the head need to be pulled?"

I would think that maybe the r

I would think that maybe the rings were frozen to the cylinders if you couldn't roll it over. I assume you found signs of water/moisture in the cylinders.

"I originally pulled heads bec

"I originally pulled heads because I had milkshake for oil. I was down on Sat., freezing. I added more antifreeze, ran the engine for a while and it maintained a constant 160 degrees. It seems to be okay. I'll still have to check compression."

"guessing 160 = FWC, you can u

"guessing 160 = FWC, you can use a radiator pressure tester to help find leaks on the 'fresh' side of the cooling system. just don't over-pressurize -> see what the cap is rated for and follwo the instructions"

"The other option on coolant p

"The other option on coolant pressure testing is to leave the current pressure cap on and pressurize the overpressue port/hose connection. Pump up to where the cap lets off, at around 5 to 7 psi. Let that sit overnite. This process has the added benefit of testing the cap that will be used on the heat exchanger."

Back