Logo

Leaky float valve

HarryL

2010 Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke.

Last season, we had one instance where the fuel was coming out of the carburetor when squeezing the primer bulb. Eventually, it recovered by itself. This season I started by cleaning the entire carburetor including the float, bowl, etc. I checked the float clearances and all were within spec. We’ve started and stopped it and used it a few times over the last three or four weeks And it has run great.

Today, after having the motor tipped up on our dinghy overnight, we went to start, and again had fuel coming out of the carburetor. I’m surprised it’s occurred again so soon since I recently cleaned the carburetor. So far it hasn’t cleared on its own. I have a replacement float and valve which I guess I will try. Is there something else I should be looking for? I gather the seats are brass and less likely to be damaged.

So I got blocked by not being able to remove the pin holding the float assembly. The replacement pin is not threaded so it appears it should just pull out. it can only be grabbed from one side. i tried vice grips but got worried about making an even bigger problem for myself. I have a set of small drift punches. Can I just use one of those to try to knock it out?
thanks,
Harry

The pin presses out. One end may be serrated to retain it. I usually pinch with pliers to get more of the pin to one side, then you can use vise grips.

Maybe just because it hasn't been out in 13 years but it was a bear to remove. A little PB Blaster soak time. Then nudging it out a touch with the drift punch, then tapping back in. Rinse and repeat. Finally the vice grips were able to rotate it and then with some careful pulling and turning, it came out. Blowing some air dislodged a piece of crud which may have been the root cause of my problems. I put in a new pin and went ahead and replaced the other parts since I had them. The pin went in easily but seemed modestly secure. I measured the float height per the manual and set the height. Unfortunately I left the fuel tank at the boat so I will need to do the ultimate test another day.

Back