Logo

Lack of fuel to carb

Tetonman

New member
I have 1991 bayliner with mercruiser 5.0L and rochester quadrajet. It loses gas to carb after 3-4 days and then hard to start. I'm thinking a electric fuel pump would solve the problem. I see the elongated slim versions and the cheaper fatter looking one. Does it matter which one I choose and does it solve the fuel issue?
 
I’m more familiar with cars than boats so take this for what it’s worth. Automotive Quadrajets have several well plugs that would tend to leak as they got older. They would cause rich idle, hard starting when hot as well as bowl bleed down over night like you’re seeing. I’m assuming boat Quadrajets have the same plugs as the auto industry. There are several write ups on disassembling and sealing them up with epoxy. If it is well plugs leaking, an electric fuel pump would prime your carb a lot faster but won’t solve your bleed down issue.

This is the second part of the write up showing where they epoxied

 
The Rochester marine carbs are the exact same as automotive with a few differences.
No vacuum ports
No high speed idle cam steps. (Cam is smooth)
Calibration.

Virtually everything else is the same
 
Back
Top