Logo

Johnson wont crank over

ShayneCastonguay

Contributing Member
So i had a bit of trouble with my starter motor, the brushes and armature grew in resistance after repeated use. So i changed it all. The starter works awesome, bendix shaft jumps and engages well, but fails to turn the outboard (a 1982 50hp johnson). Electrically, it all checks out fine. The motor doesnt turn by hand anymore,the pistons are free to move (it moves a little bit before binding) with the plugs out. A clicking noise can be heard from the lower unit when I attempt to move the flywheel, I'm thinking something is bound up in the linkages. Thoughts?

So I pulled the lower unit off, drive shaft and shift linkage included, and the flywheel and motor operate normally. Possible broken gear teeth in the lower unit?

So I pulled the lower unit off, drive shaft and shift linkage included, and the flywheel and motor operate normally. Possible broken gear teeth in the lower unit?

Can you turn the driveshaft by hand? In neutral it should turn relatively easily (the water pump should be the only thing adding resistance), and in gear turning it by hand should still be manageable.

No. I'm thinking the shifting section is what's binding, the prop turns in neutral by hand easy, the gear case doesn't feel like its bound up, any idea how to expose all this? I pulled the water pump and all visible screws on the top of the lower unit, the drive shaft and shift shaft are held on by something more

Hi Shainey, I am new in the forum, if the fly wheel doesn't turn with the spark plug in then probably when you choose different to try it, the thread was to long so the piston head knock it up then no turns, try the short one, good luck !!!

Back