Logo

Johnson Outboard 40 1996 J40TLEDS One prop shaft seal or 2?

Jeff Austin

New member
I have a Johnson Outboard 40 1996 J40TLEDS and need to replace the prop shaft seal. But when I go to buy the seal all I see is that older models have two seals back to back and newer models have only one seal. There was only the one that I pulled out but it was installed crooked and looked terrible before I touched it. The kit I can get has two seals to be installed back to back. Does it matter if I use Two? How do I tell it a 1996 is an older model that should have two seals or if it is newer and requires one seal?
Thanx...L8r....jeff
 
Some models specified the single ( 2 lip ) seals for a while.-----Then they went back to the 2 seals again.-----I use 2 seals !
 
Back
Top