Logo

Johnson 50hp ran great in driveway then 1 cylinder in water

j50BELCTA

New member
Hello Im in need of some serious help to figure this one out and im posting as a last option Ive been working on this engine and boat for about 2 months ive replaced coils, powerpack,solinoid, fuel /filter/ pump, had trouble with the control box, ran into more trouble registering it because the guy i bought it off of never registered it and Ma is strict with titling anyways I finally got it to start And run good enough to try it out for a quick ride and see how it gos in the water so took it to the boat launch started it and it had no power, also didnt sound like a 2 stroke, that was wednesday, so thursday got home from work and went through the whole engine, double checked everything it got late so waited till after work today in my driveway on ears it started right up, ran perfect for about 20 min, I have the kill switch jumped out so I shut it off buy holding a hand over the carberator. So me and my neibor hook it up again and bring it to the water put the boat in and start it up...same thing happens starts but seems like its running on 1 cylinder again, I did do anything the engine seems like right when it gets into the water just doesnt want to go im at the point of complete frustration, i meen it ran perfect in my drive way 30 min later completely opposite no power but stayed running I need help
 
I would say it's running on 1 cylinder in your driveway also running on muffs and in the lake are two VERY different things. Do a compression test and a spark test.
 
It sounded right and was responsive in the driveway had that two stroke ring to it, then in the water sounds like its bogging, it starts on both cylinders too. Now in my driveway it sounds like it did in the water, no power also noticed arcing from the bottom cylinder, could the timing be off...? Auto zone rents comp. Tests gonna try that like you said thanks....
 
Yes fix the arcing first do you have the correct plugs in it. Easiest way to check the arcing start it at night and see exactly where it is coming from. STAY AWAY from the timing
 
Yes i bought the new coils and had to make them up myself, gonna buy new ones. Also just did a compression test and both cylinders are in betweem 125 - 135. Both read with in 5 psi of one another, Thanks for helping out I have kids and the pretend rides in the driveway got old about a month ago and summers slipping away quick I seriously do appreciate everyones help thanks , gonna get the new wires and see if that helps
 
Back
Top