Logo

Johnson 40hp won't cut off

Cbshaw94

Hello, I'm new to this forum stuff but figured I'd give it a shot. I have an 85 Johnson 40hp outboard on my 18 ft Lowe. Sometimes it's hesitant to spin over like the battery is dead, other times it starts up just fine. When it cranks it runs great doesn't give any trouble. Here lately when I cut it off, it will only cut off when I choke it with the switch. I have barely any experience with boat motors so any information and tips that anyone could give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We looked up the model number online looking for a manual and it said it was a 1985. I'll have to get the exact number tomorrow. I'm not gonna be off of work until late tonight.

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Easy to check the switch..... have the engine running... key turned to OFF and engine still running.

Ground out that black/yellow wire at the switch. If the engine stops = bad ignition switch.

If the engine continues to run, ground out the black/yellow wire at the powerpack. If the engine stops, suspect the black/yellow wire is broken between the pack and the switch.

If the engine does not stop when you ground the black/yellow wire of the powerpack = bad circuit within the pack.

Back