Logo

Johnson 1999 150 Starts fine. Take a little bit after that

noj77

New member
I can take the boat to the water and it will start fantastic every time. The problem is after it sits for a while(30 minutes or so) after running it When trying to start it up I set it in high idle. If I don't give it a minute or so to warm up it will die when I put it in gear. It seems it really wants to go. If I start at a slower speed it will stall and die. Also I think I am hearing a sound that sounds like air may be pushing out of the motor at times. The sound is something like pressure air escaping. Don't know if that is anything? What could be the problem? Thanks
 
If your having a cylinder head gasket leak, the engine once it's heated up may cause the leak to seal.
When the engine is cold, mix some dish soap n water in a spray bottle and spray around the gasket to see if you find air bubbles.
 
That sounds like it could be the problem. I will check it this week. When it is real hot it runs terrible but when it is cold out never a problem. It sounds like an easy fix. Hopefully not too good to be true.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
 
I have replaced the carb. kits and the water pump. I had it out today for the first time and their is still some hesitaion after stopping for the first time. It was also real hot today. My boat mechanic checked compression and never came across any problems such as a leaking head gasket. I guess my enigine just likes to get up and go. Should I not be to worried about it? Should I start the motor at a high neutral speed? Thanks
 
Back
Top