Logo

Johnson 1998 50hp Electrical Issue (fuse burning almost each startup)

boat_guy

I have Johnson 1998 50hp J50PLEEA with BRP-type remote control (aftermarket).
1695001682507.png

I had to re-wire everything during rebuild process so I may have missed something. Now I am experiencing issue with onboard 20A fuse. Almost each time when I attempt to start, it would start or crank but end up with burn fuse. Initially I suspected ignition key(aftermarket) so I replaced it with OEM ignition. Still the same issue.

To identify issue I disconnected starter and did some electrical testing with multimeter.
wiring circuit.png

Everything seems to be fine from following tests.

wiring circuit testing 1.png
wiring circuit testing 2.png

Now the issue that I found: When I attempt to start motor(starter disconnected) positive(+) and negative(-) wires become shorted and stay shorted even with key in ON position, but if I unplug remote control(6 pins square plug) - short disappear. While short is detectable, wires getting warm to the touch.

Also the big question: Should battery negative be grounded to boat hull (aluminum boat)? The reason I am asking is that remote control body and boat hull are not connected to battery negative.

Thank You

You just need to run a ground wire all the way back to the battery and I think you'll be good. The motor is grounded to the battery, everything else should be too.

Back