Logo

Johnson 15 2 stroke 2006 timing spec

Maraian

Contributing Member
Can anybody tell me What the timing should be at idle? Wot?
Can't seem to find this Info.
Is it measurable with timing light on this motor?

The timing is factory adjusted for the life of the motor>-----Normally no need to adjust it.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?

The timing is factory adjusted for the life of the motor>-----Normally no need to adjust it.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?

It won't idle. Runs ok above idle. Starts up fine when cold. When temp comes up it shuts down. Temp per IR gun is ok. Pumping water. Choke does not help. Manual primer bulb does not help. Checked oil ratio.

Has to sit for 15 minutes before restarting. Open throttle to clear rich condition does not help.
Plugs look normal.
Rebuilt carb adjusted idle mixture. Lynch and synch.
Gone through ignition system.
New plugs, wires, charge coil, trigger, coil. Power pack 1-2 years old.
Charge coil was melting and ohms high ( thought smoking gun)
Spark looks good, jumps 3/8" gap.
New fuel line from pump to carb. New line and bulb from tank
Compression is good.

What are the actual compression numbers ?------Have you replaced water pump impeller ?----Checked reed valves ?

Compression is just under 100 psi on both cylinders.
Water pump replaced over winter.

Have not checked reed valves. Have not come across anything saying bad reeds would cause no idle situation, with otherwise normal running.

Do I just need to take off intake and reinstall with new gasket?
Check reeds by seeing if there is a gap present?
Do you usually replace the leaf valve and plate gasket and intake gasket?
Or would you also replace shim and leaf plate?
Thanks

Last edited:
As long as the orange & blue wire are connected to the top coil , the power pack controls the timing and you never have to adjust it. Ever .

97's to 01's are less forgiving than 93's to 96's .

When your rebuilt the carb, did you use an OEM kit and replace EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
As long as the orange & blue wire are connected to the top coil , the power pack controls the timing and you never have to adjust it. Ever . your rebuilt the carb, did you use an OEM kit and replace EVERYTHING.
Yes and cleaned with ultrasonic machine and simple green hd.
Ended up bringing it to mechanic and he said probably head gasket. He said the idle is the first to go on these motor with a blown head.
they will do leak down to confirm.
but in hindsight it makes sense. One plug looked cleaner than the other. I thought it was ignition. But it wasn’t.
I kind of remember having a very mild and brief overheat last year that probably caused it.

Very typical symptoms. I had a pesky 98 that did the same. You lack crackcase pressure. It's probably hard to start warm.

Replace the thermostat and impeller while you're at it.

And rebuild it properly with quality OEM parts: new float, needle, seat , all new gaskets, ect.

Last edited:
Back