Logo

Joe why in the world

" Hi Joe,

I've got the

" Hi Joe,

I've got the '96 130 Johnson that I recently got running very well with your help. I've got a new problem that occured while on the water. After the engine gets to temp and sits for awhile it doesn't want to start. I pumped up the bulb and get it started but then it idles very rough and only runs on one bank of cylinders. The other two won't fire at all. They are cool to touch after the other side gets warm. It is dieing because of running on just two. We ran the battery down trying to keep it started. I did a spark check yesterday and had excellent fire 1/2" blue. Could this be a thermal problem with the ignition? Do powerpacks and/or coils breakdown and act this way only after warming up? Can you give me some steering?

Thanks,

Mike "

"Mike.... The cool cylinders o

"Mike.... The cool cylinders on one side indicate that those cylinders aren't firing (no combustion = no heat). It's quite unlikely that two (2) coils could fail at the same time... and even if they did, they would stay that way. As I may have mentioned previously, I retired before that engine was manufactured and I don't have the book in front of me.... but I would strongly suspect either a intermitent powerpack problem, or the stator that's under the flywheel. The stator gets very hot and there are large coils incorporated in that stator that supply voltage to the powerpack(s). Those large coils have been known to crack, leak, and melt down when hot.. resulting in being unable to energize the p/pack. When cold, the stator would act normally. When hot, there's a loss of ignition.

Joe
"

" Joe,
I just wanted to let

" Joe,
I just wanted to let you know that I replaced the entire fuel supply line and bulb. I used a prefab all in one assembly. I also adjusted my idle mixture screws per the boat mechanic at a local shop. I idled my motor with muffs for about 10 minutes with no dieing. Went out last night and ran it between idle and WOT for about 10 miles. Tried several hole shots from idle and it didn't die. It never died once. I think my most recent issue was with fuel delivery. Anyway I hope it keeps on running like it is. If I lose fire on that one bank again I'll know right where to look. The stator and power pack.

Thanks for all of your assistance Joe,

Mike "

I forgot to mention that I re

I forgot to mention that I replaced several tie straps and hose clamps on the fuel and oil lines to boot.

Back