Logo

Joe Reeves HELP

dennis

Contributing Member
" Joe,

This is Dennis, I e

" Joe,

This is Dennis, I emailed you on 4/6 I guess I shouldn't have sorry about that, I will post from now on.

1990 200hp Evinrude (New Rebuild)

Anyway I am still having problems with that new powerpack. Here is what I have done to troubleshoot the problem.

1. Removed all the plugs checked compression 90 psi on all cyl ( a little low considering a new rebuild don't you think )?

2. Setup spark tester with 7/16 gap, spark seems weak but does jump also intermittent spark on
#4 and #6 ( not sure how bright the spark should be )

The stator is brand new and everything ran fine with the powerpack that was damaged by National Marine, this all started when I installed the new powerpack.

Are there any problems that you know of with the CDI powerpacks I starting to think I have a defective one.

Thanks

Dennis "

"90 psi is about average on th

"90 psi is about average on the later model engines. It may vary from gauge to gauge but the important thing is that the readings be equal on all cylinders. It may improve somewhat with running as the rings seat.

Remove the s/plugs, disconnect the RED main electrical plug at the engine. Crank the engine via a jumper at the starter solenoid (battery term to small 3/8" nut term). If you now have a strong blue wide lightniong like flame on all cyls, in all probability the ignition switch is shorted.

If still no proper spark, at least you know the problem is at the engine and nowhere else. At the powerpack disconnect the black/yellow wire(s) from the powerpack and recheck the spark. If you now have proper spark, either there's a short in the engine wiring harness somewhere, or the shift interrupter switch is faulty.... switch at engine shift linkage just before the lever goes under the carburetor area. You'll see two wires leading to it. A black wire and a black/yellow wire.

If still no proper spark, check all pins/sockets, connectors leading to the stator, powerpack, etc. I don't recall.... do you have a service manual for that engine? If not, check with:

http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/

Joe
"

" Joe,

I forgot to mention

" Joe,

I forgot to mention I did bypass the shift interrupter switch still no proper spark so we can rule that out.

I will check the ignition switch as you suggested
tonight.

Yes I do have a service manual which has a color coded wiring diagram.

Even though the stator is brand new I want to test the output voltage to rule it out. My manual says that between the brown and brown/yellow wires while cranking the motor the voltage should be 130v, shouldn't the voltage be 300v?

Do you think this could be a timer base problem?
I know the timer base is responsible for firing the SCR switches in the powerpack which controls
voltage to the coils. Do you have a procedure
for testing the timier base?

Thanks "

" Something caused a carburato

" Something caused a carburator fire on my 1989 Johnson 200 looper. It partly melted 3 carbs, all vaccum lines and the inside of the silencer cover. What could have caused this? Ive got rebuilt 225 carbs, but dont know how and to which nipples the vaccum hoses were routed from the choke solonoid to the manifold. Does it matter? Any help would be appreciated. Im dead in the water. "

Those hoses are in fact fuel

Those hoses are in fact fuel delivery hoses from the electric primer( small ones) the bigger nipple needs to hook up to the fuel supply manifold to the carburetors.

Back