Logo

Issues with 1987 40 hp Evinrude

Soggydog

I have had this motor for ten plus years and never had a problem. Every winter pull the carbs and clean and do regular maintenance on motor.
Last week put everything back together and ran it on muffs in driveway and it ran like normal (revved to 5500 RPM + and idled fine. I get it out on the water today, it starts right up, but will not run unless you choke it. I' m not sure if I messed something up or not. Any suggestions? Thanks for any info.

Re: Issues with 87 40 horse Evinrude

You revved it to 5500 rpm on the muffs? no load?

start with a compression test and inspection of the plugs

Last edited:

Basic trouble shooting would be to check the compression and spark (common practice). Compression shopuld be approximately 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Spark (with plugs removed) should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame..... a real SNAP!

If the above areas are as they should be......... and If pumping the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump) cures the problem, suspect the fuel pump. If this changes nothing, I'd suspect that something was overlooked in the carburetor department...... possibly a somewhat clogged high speed jet.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. After posting yesterday I pulled the carbs and checked them again. I pushed a thin wire through the jets in carbeuretors and pushed out a small piece of lint from the paper towel I used to clean out bowls (will not use that again). Put on muffs fired it up and it ran like a champ, then took it out on the lake today and everything is back to normal.

Back