Logo

Is a 383 CID MFI 325hp enough to replace a 74L 330HP in a 6100# express cruiser

fedarcyks

New member
"Not worried about skiers or o

"Not worried about skiers or out of the hole torque. Heard maybe enough guts, but engine taxed, a 'stoker' mis-application - need Bravo 3 to get to same output. Others say the 383 was THE replacement for the obsolete 454. Also, is fuel consumption similar at min planing speed?"
 
"Ayuh,.........

It's ju


"Ayuh,.........

It's just a Smaller motor,....... Period.......

There's No Replacement for Displacement still stands in today's Boat World........"
 
"Steve;
I think it depends a


"Steve;
I think it depends a lot on what you expect, the size and weight of your boat, etc, etc.
I swapped a 383 into my 20 Mirage to replace a 4.3, so obviously it is an entirely different boat now. I am real happy with it.
The 383 will be considerably lighter than your 454, so you will be pushing less weight. And you will likely use less fuel on average.
If yours is a big heavy boat that is a mediocre performer with the 454, you may be better off with a 496.
Rod"
 
I am about to repower my 1986

I am about to repower my 1986 Chris Craft 350 Catalina. I blew the port engine and the starboard is tired. The were the 260hp mercruiser engines.
I am thinking of repowering with the 383 engines to give this boat a little more power and better cruising.
What are your thoughts and suggestions on this?
 
"Philip;
I think the 383'


"Philip;
I think the 383's would be a good call depending on your total weight. If that is a 35' boat she is likely pretty heavy.
My brother has a 35' Ultraflite that weighs about 24,000 lbs and it has two 330 hp 454's shaft drive.
He is considering a repower with similar hp deisels (Hammerhead I think?), so as to get lower fuel consumption.
He figures the overall cost will be 50-60 K by the time the smoke clears.
Rod"
 
Back
Top