Logo

Intermittant problem, no crank when key is turned in 2000 Horizon 454 MPI engin, bad ignition relay?

Jeremy Jernegan

New member
I have a problem when I turn the ignition key - the fuel pump activates and I hear a "click" from the engine compartment but the engine doesn't crank. I am suspecting the so called "Ignition system relay" - a small plastic cube on th ewiring harness in the engine. Batteries are good and starter and solenoid are fine and will operate when jumped. When it operates it is fine but at least every other time it does not do more than click.
Any ideas? Might I just replace the relay?
Thanks
Jeremy
 
Hey guys, I have a similar problem with my 1998 mercruiser alpha 1 cid 350. I get a click when I turn the ignition key. I have new battery, clean cables, new starter with solonoid. I can turn the ignition key and all gauges light up, but just a click, no engine turn over. could it be a bad kill switch or is it the slave solonoid like my fellow boater above? any other things I could check?

thanks, guys
 
Hey guys, I have a similar problem with my 1998 mercruiser alpha 1 cid 350. I get a click when I turn the ignition key. I have new battery, clean cables, new starter with solonoid. I can turn the ignition key and all gauges light up, but just a click, no engine turn over. could it be a bad kill switch or is it the slave solonoid like my fellow boater above? any other things I could check?

thanks, guys

Check the slave solenoid.
 
Back
Top