Logo

Intermitent water out of check port

dikinmn

New to this forum and am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 6hp 4 stroke Nissan that I bought used last year. I think it is a 6A2S .Started it up for the first time last weekend and it seemed fine except for one thing. When it first started there was pretty good stream of water out of the check port. Then after a couple minutes of warming up it slowed to just a drip. Shut the motor off, waited a few seconds, same thing happened. Shut it off, restarted, same thing. Seemed to be running fine so the kids took it out for awhile. When they were coming back water was coming out but weakly. Is this normal with these engines? or is it something I should be concerned with? Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Could be just some sediment inside the pee port, worn water pump system, thermostat or a leaking head gasket. Start from the left and work your way to the right.

Yes, quite common for crud/corrosion to get stuck in the telltale port on the 4/5/6. Can be cleared with either a stiff wire or fishing line inserted in the port while the motor is running in the water (to dislodge and expel the debris), or some compressed air can blow it out.

Back