Logo

Intermediate Shaft Timing question

"For those following the saga

"For those following the saga of the Cranks, starts, dies! story....I now have an update, and a question: I managed to get the engine running tonight....I installed a new timing belt. However, this engine is in VERY rough shape. The gear on the intermediate shaft was so bad that the position locater mark was corroded away...and I could NOT locate the proper position using the mark. What I ended up doing was finding the proper marks on both the crank and the cam gear....then positioning the distributor rotor in line with the #1 Spark Plug wire on the rotor. I figured I might be a tooth or two off either way from where it was when I started...but I'm not so sure it was right then anyway. So.....I cleaned everything up as best I could....and I don't think I'll have a problem with the belt jumping time. But, I 'may' have a problem with this intermediate shaft timing. Which leads me to my question: Does this shaft have a function beyond driving the distributor? My concern is that the shaft may be a counter-balance shaft....designed to off-set the natural forces of an in-line 4-banger and reduce vibrations. If so...then simply adjusting the distributor may let me get ignition timing in sync with where it should be...but my counter-balance weights may yet be out of position. For the record....I did get a pretty smooth operation out of the little mil tonight. So, after fighting that Variable Timing issue for a week, it was satisfying to see the engine run!! But, I need to know just how concerned I need to be with the timing on the intermediate shaft. Then, I have to figure out what's necessary with that outdrive and needed service to get this boat into the water!!! Any help there would be appreciated as well. But...I can save that for another post. As always...thanks for reading this...and I appreciate the help!! Kindly, Tom D."

"El,

Thank you!! It appear

"El,

Thank you!! It appears I'm OK then, as I can deal with the Ignition timing without any real problem, including R&R the distributor if I can't get a proper adjustment range as it sits. I'm guessing that there's NO timing issue with the oil pump....but if I'm wrong....PLEASE let me know. I've not seen anything like this in years, but I recall where certian engines had shafts with oil passages that aligned in rotational sequence with oil pressure shots to control oil flow. The hole in the shaft was more or less a 'valve'...and as it rotated, it reduced volume and pressure....and thus maintained both these down stream of the shaft...which in turn (no pun intended) kept pressure 'up' prior to the shaft and kept a proper flow to other engine areas. I don't really recall who's engine this was...and it goes WAY back in my history. But...I just wanted to make sure!! Right now...I can't find my old timing light...but I've got the engine running pretty smoothly, and seems to rev up quickly and responsivly...so I'm confident I've got the timing 'in the ballpark'. I'm ready to move to the stern-drive....so if you have any links to proper maintenence on that unit...please let me know. I read somewhere that the Volvo unit uses conventional 10W30 oil vs. 90W gearlube? I'm going to need a whole class in that outdrive....to make sure I appropriately deal with U-joints, lower unit lube fill, and any other standard maintenence that should be performed. I know Mercruiser to some degree...but this is my first Volvo. Thanks for all your help El. This has been a very good experience here on this site. You are to be commended!! TSD"

Back