Logo

Interchangability question

bspeth

Regular Contributor
Can I use the lower unit from a 15014 on a 18602? I screwed the dog and bought the 18602 with a bad lower unit.Thanks-B

I think so. Unless there is a "gotcha" lurking somewhere that I'm not thinking about. The internal parts probably are different if you were thinking of using just parts from it.

Good news. I will let ya know when I decide which motor to get running after some assessment.Thanks for the input-B

I am going to build a franken motor,the lower unit bolted right up as you said it would,this will be mainly for a learning experience,but also so my 13 footer can get up and boogie.Compression on the 18hp is 75 top 81-82 bottom.Ignition in good shape,need a fuel pump and I can get it running. Carb drain screw had no laquer on it so maybe it was run out of fuel its last time out?Will pull carb and look/smell for crud before spending money on the pump. Anybody happen to have a serviceable pump for one of these units?

I was messing with the motor and my spark is only 3/16. Should I check my coil/boot connects?The coils are not original.

If you dont know how old the points are just replace them along with new condensers. If the coils are not cracked they are probably good.

Got it all cleaned up and fixed all the little broken stuff,just waiting for a fuel pump and its to the tank for a test.Replaced fuel lines shimmed the throttle gear to remove play,cleaned and cleaned some more. Set and cleaned points,new plugs,used that donated lower from the 1955.Will fire and run to test carb,and then get into resealing the lower unit this winter.Impeller looked good enough for now.I will report back on condition of the carb.

Slight mod to the fuel pump and she ran in the tank for an hour.No probs once I adjusted the low speed needle and the idle. Lake tomorrow to gps her.Boat 180lbs,gear 50lbs,me 170lbs,5600' elevation. Ive got the flywheel nut at 45ft.lbs is that good?50-1 mix. Anybody see a problem there?

21.3 on gps. She ran great at all speeds. 1.7 troll speed.A little high for what I want to do but dang good for an 18 IMO.I am still tinkering with the set up. I can shut the throttle to the stop after a WOT run and she stays running.The only problem I encountered was it flooded when I raised the engine all the way to move the trim pin. I assume that if I had disconnected the fuel hose before raising the engine or unscrewed the tank cap I would not have had this problem,might have had to prime the carb if I had pulled the hose I guess. Please comment on this flooding condition. Thanks-B

Last edited:
Back