Logo

Installing temperature sender

ShayneCastonguay

Contributing Member
I have a 1982 50hp Johnson and I'm looking to install a temp sender. I want better feedback than just the current overheat horn (which I'm not sure works) but my problem with installing a temp sender into the coolant stream would be that it would not be consistent, as the water temperature would change in the lake/river. Does anyone know of one that could read the temperature of the block itself? And what a reasonable temperature might be for normal operation?

The water going past the thermostat should be at a fairly stable temp in the head. Can you drill and tap the hole for the temp switch it will measure the head temp the block is not regulated and subject to water in temp.

There are plenty of temp gauges available that come with senders and a Z-bracket to mount under a head bolt with sensing unit in contact with the head.

It's really irritating that most on-line suppliers do not show what's included with the gauges. But I've found that Sierra 58862P does include what you're looking for.

You might call marinengine's sales staff and see what your options are.

Attachments

• Temp Gauge Sierra 58862p.JPG
    Temp Gauge Sierra 58862p.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Back