Logo

Installing new block on a BF200, anything to watch for?

m smith

Contributing Member
I have a 2007 BF200 that has block rot. I decided to install a new Honda short block rather than fix this one. The block is ordered. I have the Honda service manual. It looks like a fairly simple procedure. Anything I should look out for? I will be installing the new exhaust parts at the same time to address the service bulletin #56 (I think that is e number). Hopefully my jack ass mechanic (me) can figure it all out. Otherwise I will be on every forum I can find to complain about my lack of experience and inability to perform a basic repair.

My biggest suggestion in addition to reading through the procedures in the manual several times before you do them......is to take a lot of pictures as you take things apart.

As you follow the manual, it disassembles in sections. Keep those associated parts in groupings that match the sections. Bolts, nuts etc in plastic containers or bags (so you do not lose anything. Store them in a location in the order that you took the off. That way when you go to put them back on, you know what part to do next.

Back to the pictures. Before and during the time you take each section or layer off, take pictures focusing on the hose and cabling layout. Those may be the hardest parts to get back onto the motor and have a correct finished product.

When you get to the timing belt, be sure the rotate the engine manually several times and double/triple check that all the timing marks are in alignment.

Take your time...don't get in a hurry.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Mike

What Mike said! In addition, depending on the hours of the old block and or if it over heated, you may want to have the cylinder heads milled or grind the valves. I'd also go in with new t-stats.

Back