Logo

Installed new ignition switch, now motor won't turn off

JasRam

Contributing Member
I have an Evinrude SPL 28 and I just installed a new ignition with a kill switch. I swithched from the type with screw connectors to the kind with round male plugs.
The one I bought is an OEM part. I started the boat today and it started perfectly but it wouldn't shut off. The only different thing I did was plug in the red/yellow wire to the S terminal. The boat was perfectly fine with the old switch but I'm not sure how it was ever working, as I couldn't see any evidence of the yellow/red wire ever being touched. I spliced into it, as I found afew diagrams online that said to do this. I figured I would test the kill switch so I just started it in hopes of just letting it pop out and stop, this didn't happen and it kept running until I pulled the plug wires. Could it be that I have the M terminals switched?

I read that the yellow/black and black were interchangeable. I also could not find a red/purple wire but directions I found online said that I should.

Here is the one I ordered
https://leadersrpmshop.com/evinrude...ruVeReNnoO5bhTL0pAlduELQO77YULtBoC_YQQAvD_BwE

I have a 1981 Evinrude 35. I have the same problem. The wires and the power pack were fried when I got it. I told it needs a ground wire however no one said from where to where. So good luck. I will have to see what you come up with.
Good luck !!!

Back