Logo

Install new switch key

I thought this would be simple.
Can someone help me with a simple new switch key. I have manual By Clymer, B740, and also Mercury Mercruiser #14 Service Manual, and #31 Mercruiser manual, and the Sea Ray Boat manual. I cannot find my electrical system matching my wire colors in any of them.

My project Boat is 1984 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 260 V8, 5.7 ltr.
My ignition switch has a Red wire, Purple wire and a Yellow and Red STRIPE wire. I cannot find a wiring diagram to know what the wires go to. My new 4 prong ignition switch I bought from my boat shop. The prongs has stamped B (battery),A (accessory),I (ignition),S (solenoid) stamped on it.
Can anyone tell me how to wire this new switch key up?
Thanks
Mr Steve Wayne 575

I thought this would be simple.
Can someone help me with a simple new switch key. I have manual By Clymer, B740, and also Mercury Mercruiser #14 Service Manual, and #31 Mercruiser manual, and the Sea Ray Boat manual. I cannot find my electrical system matching my wire colors in any of them.

My project Boat is 1984 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 260 V8, 5.7 ltr.
My ignition switch has a Red wire, Purple wire and a Yellow and Red STRIPE wire. I cannot find a wiring diagram to know what the wires go to. My new 4 prong ignition switch I bought from my boat shop. The prongs has stamped B (battery),A (accessory),I (ignition),S (solenoid) stamped on it.
Can anyone tell me how to wire this new switch key up?
Thanks
Mr Steve Wayne 575

Ayuh,...... The red wire goes to the Batt terminal,.....
The purple wire goes to the Ign. terminal,.....
The yellow/ red wire goes to the Start terminal,....
'n it appears you don't have an Acc. circuit,....

It appears that my old ignition switch has a red wire going straight from switch key to a panel of toggle switches as it looks like to give power to the panel. I am having trouble tracing Yellow with purple strip, and solid purple to see where they go.
I would sure feel more comfortable finding a copy of my wiring diagram, but out of all I looked at still no luck. they have no yellow with red strip wire.

It appears that my old ignition switch has a red wire going straight from switch key to a panel of toggle switches as it looks like to give power to the panel. I am having trouble tracing Yellow with purple strip, and solid purple to see where they go.
I would sure feel more comfortable finding a copy of my wiring diagram, but out of all I looked at still no luck. they have no yellow with red strip wire.

Your yellow w/Purple stripe started out life as a Yellow w/red stripe. This is the wire that feeds power to the start circuit.

Your red wire from the switch panel is feeding power to the ignition switch. The switch is not feeding power to the switch panel. The red wire powers the Purple wire when the ignition switch is turned to the on position. It also feeds power to the yellow w/red stripe when the ignition switch is turned further to the start position.

The purple wire on the ignition switch is the feed to the engines ignition system on your set up.

There is a standard for wiring.

ABYC-Cable-Wire-Color-Codes-for-Yacht-Boat-Marine-Wiring.png

Thank you Chris for that helpful chart of wire colors.
Thank you very much, that will help me a lot. What I am missing is any diagram for my toggle switch's. I thank I replaced them correctly BUT:
I have a black wire coming from my Gauges that looks like it goes to my switch panel or ignition and has a male connector that I found unattached. Do you have any idea if it would plug in to my ignition switch or one of the other switches on my panel?
please advise,
Thanks
Steve

Thank you Chris for that helpful chart of wire colors.
Thank you very much, that will help me a lot. What I am missing is any diagram for my toggle switch's. I thank I replaced them correctly BUT:
I have a black wire coming from my Gauges that looks like it goes to my switch panel or ignition and has a male connector that I found unattached. Do you have any idea if it would plug in to my ignition switch or one of the other switches on my panel?
please advise,
Thanks
Steve
I forgot to mention the black wire with the male connection is coming from my RPM gauges

Back