Logo

In too deep 1974 225

Devious6143

Well I am a brand new boat owner that went a little over my own head. About 7 months i bought a 1974 Sea Star with a Mercruiser 225. The previous owner let it sit for awhile. When i got the bought i tried starting the engine and it would not turn over, electronics where good but nothing would turn. I proceeded to pulling the engine out and starting to take it apart. As I soon came to find out their was an oily water mix everywhere even in the block. I ended up cleaning the whole engine out removing every little piece and cleaning it, and i ordered a rebuild kit for a ford 302. My biggest problem now is just getting the whole motor put together again. Again I am a rookie at this is their anyway anyone can help me out their? Manuals on how to put it together? As I am a Marine the only time i have to work on the engine is after work or on some weekends. I have had it for nearly a year and i would love to see my family and i in the boat this summer.

Re: In too deep

Putting any engine together is a matter of following the basic steps in engine assembly.

Basically the Ford 302 is a car engine that in 98% on the time is exactly the same as that found in your family car for that year, and if you cannot get the Mercruiser Manual immediately, get the Ford Manual, or borrow one, and read that up.

If you are running Raw Salt Water cooling, you will need the Marine Head Gaskets.

Bruce.

Re: In too deep

Emulsified water in the block? Why do I find myself worrying that the water in the block used to be coolant, and the block is cracked.

Back