Logo

Impeller kit for evinrude 9.5

OK, figuring this 1964 engine would need a new impeller, I pulled the lower unit off to inspect. Noticed there isn't a gasket where the impeller housing mounts to the lower unit. I guess the gasket that's included in the kit goes under the stainless steel plate only?. Just seems like it could leak water without a gasket . There's a rubber seal on the water tube (I guess it's called) where the shaft goes back in,and it seems to be much larger than the shaft. What's it's purpose ? Hoping the impeller kit will have all the needed seals to replace every thing down there. Planning on resealing the pinion gear area while I got this off. Can't fine tune the engine until I'm sure it's pumping water. Thanks,and merry Christmas!

There is a bearing plate UNDER the stainless pump wear plate.----The gasket goes there.----There is no gasket anywhere else !----Inspect all parts before spending beer tokens on this motor.

There is a bearing plate UNDER the stainless pump wear plate.----The gasket goes there.----There is no gasket anywhere else !----Inspect all parts before spending beer tokens on this motor.
Thanks racerone. It's running. Just wanted to not over heat it twiking the carb. Replaced wires. Coils tested good. Compression is alittle above 60 psi. Put kit in carb. Got fire. Just runs half w.o.t. going to stick a trash can of water under it after I get impeller kit in. Hoping for good results. Thanks again.

The pump does not need a gasket.----The gasket is for the bearing plate UNDER the pump.-----Keeps oil in the gearcase.

The pump does not need a gasket.----The gasket is for the bearing plate UNDER the pump.-----Keeps oil in the gearcase.
Got it. Guess the housing seals good with just the screws. It fired up after three pulls,but was idling at half w.o.t... Reved up pretty smooth. Only allowed it to run maybe twenty seconds as it wasn't in water. I just got mag plat back on,and feel I need to adjust the cam follower that moves the throttle to open. Guess that's called setting the timing advance and idle. Think it's not letting the carb linkage return to idle. Currently, have the low idle opened a turn and a half from seated. When I get the impeller kit in,and reseal the lower gear box, I'll put it in water to twiking the carb settings. Christmas has me saving those beer tokens up again. I'm retired,and this little project is actually alot of fun. Having your professional guidance makes me feel confident I can revive this motor,and make some more memories . My wife learned to get up on skis when she was ten behind this little motor. It spent it's life on Lake Heartwell,s.c.

Back