Logo

Ignition Issue? AQ260 V8

43_lx_merc_1996

Regular Contributor
Engine starts, will idle for about 30 seconds, then the RPM goes way up, and the engine stalls. Not sure what happened, maybe the points got bumped etc?

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, this could be an array of issues, and with this limited information, it's going to be difficult to help you from a key board!

My take on something like this, is to use the P o E.... process of elimination, of which best serves us if one item, and ONLY one item at a time is investigated.

I prefer to begin with ignition.
It needs to be looked at anyway, and once checked out, it generally will not change on us.

If the balancer is not marked off up to approx 35*, you'll want to do this first.
Then strobe them as you increase RPM up to approx 3.2k rpm in neutral, no load.
Jot down the numbers and plot this out in graph form..... (i.e., advance in degrees -vs- RPM).
Compare this to your OEM specs that pertain to the Ignition Advance curve and Limit RPM.
If it doesn't meet the OEM specs, you'll need to have this re-calibrated.

Once found to be correct, or if corrected, then move onto to other areas.

If your contact points were bumped, the dwell would be off, and I think other issues would show up.
Is the distributor housing locked down?
Have you tested fuel pump pressure?
Is your fuel filter clean and non-restricted?
Have you changed the small "On Carb" filter/screen unit? (use caution when removing this small housing!)
Any chance of a carburetor base gasket leak causing a lean fuel/air scenario?
What is it doing under normal load?
Are you able to achieve the specified WOT RPM? (again, see your OEM manual for this)

Post back..... one of us will be glad to help you.

Last edited:
Back