Logo

Ignition coil

Peterpd99

hello,
id just bought a 1976 4 hp lightwin. Removed flywheel and noticed a crack in one of the coil. Is it a good idea to replace both coils or just the cracked one? And does it have to be the same brand if just replacing one?
thanks in advance!
peter

It's a toss-up, if they are the same age. It probably is ok if not cracked, but expect to have it happen soon. After 40 years, it is time.

No they do not have to be same brand. I prefer the OEM / BRP coils' quality.

it probably is wise to change it while I'm at it. I have a pair of sierra coils, I hope they'll last 10 years.
Thanks for quick response!

Be sure and pull the plate to change the coils take some pics. The wires must be fully inserted and then slide the boot up then install the coil. Air gap to the flywheel is very important if you can wiggle up and down on the armature plate get a new ring and bracket to tighten it up. Use a high quality marine lithium grease.

Air gap to the flywheel is very important

One of these coil locating rings is a handy tool for setting the correct gap. Just place the ring on the armature plate and push the coils out to the ring and tighten them down. No adjusting to it.

fvfnc9w.jpg

rHelk59.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy, I thought it was just simply reinstalling it with the way I removed it. What if I don't have one of these fancy ring, would it affect the performance? Isn't the original screw holes good enough as a reference point? But that does seem like a good tool to have. Where can I get one?

Ok, so I'd spent a good amount of time today, changing the points, condensers, coils. Here's the problem, I replaced the coils
Sierra part# 18-5181. Try as I might, the coils wouldn't move any further back flush with the boss, and it's rubbing on flywheel. Is there a solution or just ditch the 'Assembled in China' coils and go with the OEM/BRP as suggested?

I had the same problem with Sierra coils on my 3 hp Johnson. Get a refund. The only solution is to not buy any more Sierra coils. Spend the extra couple of bucks and buy the Evinrude/Johnson coils. They're not made in the USA either but they're better than the Sierra crap.

Yep, you might as well since you can't use them as they are anyway. Good luck to you, hopefully they'll work.

Success!
the problem is the rubber grommets for coils are thicker than the old ones. I did file/drilled the three hole on coils a tad bigger, but still wouldn't fit, after almost given up, my last idea was inspired by 'kimcrwbr1' for suggesting enlarging the holes for plug wire. So after replacing the grommets to the old/thinner one, it fits fine. I don't have a coil ring (will be ordering one from Richard White soon) and it did lined up perfectly to the bosses with a straight edge. The flywheel now turns freely.
:)

Last edited:
You can line the coils up without the tool. Just use a straight edge. I have the tool and it's handy but if I was only going to repair one motor I wouldn't have bothered buying it.

Back