Logo

Identifying evinrude 50hp

Selge

Just trying to pin down a year for the engine we have just picked up. Id tag shows model: e50belcss. We believe it to be a 1988 from this tag. But are unsure as the 1988 manual are showing different carbs to what we have.

For some reason it’s not letting me post any photos. Any info needed let me know. Will keep trying to post some photos in the mean time

Posting a picture of cowling will also help confirm.------Many folks can identify motors in seconds with a picture !

Posting a picture of cowling will also help confirm.------Many folks can identify motors in seconds with a picture !
Thank you very much. I will put some pictures up with the cowling. Thanks very much for the fast response.

So I was 8 years out with my guess. Not to bad

Well----sellers are often out by 10 years or more.----On occasion I see a seller listing a motor as a 1975 when it is an 85 going by the decals.

I agree it's a 1980. That last "S" in the model number is just the model run within the year. The year is the "CS" meaning 1980. You can compare what you have to the drawings here Model E50ELCSR (this should be the same. In this case that last "R" doesn't have any bearing on the parts.)

I agree it's a 1980. That last "S" in the model number is just the model run within the year. The year is the "CS" meaning 1980. You can compare what you have to the drawings here Model E50ELCSR (this should be the same. In this case that last "R" doesn't have any bearing on the parts.)
Thanks for the assistance both. Just taken a look at the drawings and looks pretty much identical to the model I have. I have tried to upload photos of the cowling but for some reason it won’t let me. Is there some sort of limit to the size of the photo file you are aloud to upload

I'm not sure with this new format, I will check with the person that manages it. I think it's 2MB. Do you get an error message when you try to post the image?

You will need to reduce the size prior to posting. If it's on you cell phone you could email it to yourself and your phone might ask you if it should be reduced. Otherwise you can reduce it in a photo editor.

We will look into something that would reduce image files on the fly when uploading to the board, but we don't have it now. Thanks.

Back