Logo

i have a 2000,40 hp johnson hard to start and stalls in low speeds

phoneguy

New member
I have had the carbs rebuilt,vro rebuilt/and bypassed so I run a 50/1 mix. It starts and idles ok on earmuffs but when in water is hard to start and wont idle.if I can get it in gear and give it gas it runs at high speeds well.I can start it tilted out of the water but once in the pressure will stall it out.it will stall when I throttle to low rpms.replaced fuel lines so there doesnt seem to be any air leaks.runs cool.any suggestions?
 
Your explanation indicates that possibly the engine's starting system (starter, battery, cable connections, etc) needs reworking.

On a flushette, there is no back pressure and the engine cranks over faster than normal via the electric starter.

In the water, the long exhaust housing is filled with water creating exhaust back pressure. This puts a strain of sorts on the electric starter resulting in a lower rpm cranking speed.

The engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator under the flyhweel to generate the proper AC voltage to the powerpack's capacitor. Anything less results in weak, erratic, and possibly no ignition.
 
i have yet to check any electrical other then checking for spark.i dont think its fuel,I have physically pumped gas into motor via bulb.I was thinking it was not getting air or too much air.thanks for the advice i will look into that
 
A loose or tight but dirty (corrosion) cable/wire connection would result in a voltage drop (slow cranking). Check and clean all related cable/wire terminals, including the battery terminals... and also whatever components they're attached to.
 
Back
Top