Logo

I changed the plugs but the motor still don't run right.

daveofthenorth

New member
So my '97 Johnson 150 Fast Strike won't run properly. I've changed out the plugs and it made no difference, it keeps stalling out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you squeeze the primer bulb, it should stay firm once the motor is running should it not? Not only does it go soft and have air in it right after the motor runs for a moment, if I squeeze the primer and leave it for 2 minutes, its already going soft again. The motor seems to run for what I'm guessing is the amount of gas in the gas line from the primer bulb to the motor. That's my guess anyway.

HELP!
Davey
 
The bulb is only for getting fuel to the carb bowl,Once the engine starts the bulb is nothing more than fuel line,The bulb stays hard because the check valve in the carb bowl closes,Meaning the bowl is full and ready to start.
I would start by checking all the fuel lines for air intrusion,any cracks,loose connections will suck air rather than fuel.shorting the engine of fuel,Start at the tank and check the tank and motor connections,the bulb.Then under the cowel check the in to fuel pump and out to carb.If they are old just replace them.
 
I would also change your bulb with a original OEM ,if the valve is bad its also going to drain back down.
 
Back
Top