Logo

how to inspect the transom seal on a 1977 351 stringer

texas60

Contributing Member
Hi all! I was wanting to know whats the best way to inspect the transom seal on my 1977 351w with a electric shift stringer outdrive.I dont want to get it out in the lake this spring and it sink! LOL I have a 1977 Cobalt and its been sitting for years.Would it be best just to replace it anyway? Oh one more question, I bought a Repair manual CD for OMC 1964-98 off e-bay and should be here in a few days,has anyone ever bought one of these CD"s and are they clear on the pics? thanks for any help

Re: how to inspect the transom seal on a 1977 stringer

Short of filling the whole bilge with water over the motor the only way is to look close at the rubber.

About 60-100 bucks for a new transom seal takes about a half hour to replace just remove the old one scrape the old sealent off the transom and then slip the new one on.

No need to remove the drive just lift it half way up.

Here is a free d/l

The whole manual free.

omc manual

Thanks Chief you have been a great help and I truly appreciate it! As for where to get the transom seal where do you recommend me getting one? Oh and by the way I tried to download that manual but I am not very computer saavy,I tried but just cant get it done but thanks anyway and for your help! I am sure I will need your expertize on down the road,so plz be patient with this newbie LOL

you have a pm

Keep the questions coming you ain't the first newbie i broke in.

Thanks alot Chief for the info,you"ve been a great help and much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Chief ,you say alls I have to do is lift the drive half way up to slip the old transom seal off and put the new one on without removing the drive?Wow thats great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep. you of course got to remove the old one. Then you will know how to install the new one. Count the holes.

use permetex 5200 as a sealant.

Chief that permatex 5200 is that a marine sealant or something that can be picked up at a hardware store. I have to change mine again and I can't remember where I got it last time or if thats what I used?
Thanks

LOL Chief your to funny! home cheapo or blows! LOL You mean Stop & Rob dont carry any? oh well they carry beer! heheh

Back