Logo

How often should I remove my out drive for inspection

briang0

Regular Contributor
I have owned my Chris Craft Scorpion 18.3 for about 3 years now. I use it about 15 hours a year and the water is brackish at best. I changed the water pump when I got it but I never removed the out drive completely. The boat runs great and I don't have any trouble with the out drive shifting I change the gear oil every year. My question is when or how often should I remove the out drive for inspection of the u joints and gimble bearing. What should I be looking for. I was getting ready to put it in and figure I might look before I do it. Thanks in advance.

The owners manual should have recommended service intervals, the water pump impeller should be changed every other year at the very least. Have some new u-joints handy whenever you pull the drive to reduce down time. Regular gear oil changes grease the prop splines and replace drain and fill plug washers with oil changes for giggles.

I do a complete service every spring.

Drain gearlube, pressure check drive (empty). Refill drive.
Remove outdrive, check gimbal bearing for smooth rotation and grease if old style (not sealed).
Grease u joints, replace drive shaft o rings, grease drive shaft liberaly. Replace gimbal to drive gasket and water hole oring. Carefully inspect shift cable and ujoint bellows for age, drying and cracking.
Reinstall drive.

Every spring regardless of hours used.....winter/non use can reveal all kinds of issues.

I am not sure but sometime in the late '90's i think they started using sealed ones.
My boat still has one and i have one greasable spare.

Back