Logo

how much water

johno77

Just been thinking about the other day when i hooked up the muffs.And also when i was skiing.

How much water should come out the pee hole or whatever it is called?

Should it be a consistant stream of water?
watching it the other day there was only a drible coming out.

How do i go about getting rid of any blockages.

The impeller is relative new.I have been out skiing 15times since it is new.Havent had the boat that long.

All the other times iv noticed a nice stream of water coming out when the muffs are hooked up.

The engine is a 175hp mariner 1990 model in good nick.

Last edited:
How do i go about getting rid of any blockages.
Disconnect one end of the telltale pee hose and run a coat hanger thru it. I unravel the twisted end of the wire where it wraps around just under the hanger hook and use it as the hose probe. It removes any spider nests. If you disconnect the hose at the powerhead that will tell you if there is sufficient water pressure...a stong stream of water will come out. If using a garden hose for the test of the impeller it will give a false positive test due to the hose pressure. A better test is to back the boat/engine into a lake and check the water pressure produced by the impeller.

Hi i took your advice and got the coat hanger and put it up there.Seems clean to me.

How long does it normally take for a steady stream to come through?do the thermostates have to open.
I had a look at them and they were relative clean.

Tommore ill disconnect the hose from the power head.Is that at the bottom a little plastic joint on the port side of boat?

What about if i take the thermostates out and see if there is good water flow?

I have read that on some motors they have a hose flushing point.Would mine have that?So i could flush it.

Down near the take up holes or whatever they are called i noticed a screw and it said vent.What is this vent for?

Id like to get a manual so i can learn more about the engine.Any sugestions on were i could get one?

Does the impeller spin on a shaft? does it have to be in gear to spin?.Or does it sit there and work on water pressure?

Can weed get stuck in the water pump?And mud and dirt?
As you can see im a very new boat owner.

The impeller is pinned to the driveshaft !!---------------Any time the motor runs the waterpump is / has to work and pump water.

Are you running in fresh or salt water? Salt will cause internal water passage blockages faster than fresh water. On your engine I'm not sure if the pee stream is right away or after the T'stat opens. Disconnect the hose near the T'stat. Don't know if you have a motor flushing pt. The "VENT" screw is for the L/U oil...nothing to do w/water flow. This site sells manuals that will help you cheaper than a factory manual which is what I prefer. If the engine is running the impelleer is spinning. Mud, sand, weeds, plastic bags, etc. can block the water inlets on the L/U.

You can use weed eater string to run threw the pee hose , alot easer than wire. The thermostat will not open till the motor reaches around 140+degs. and water should come out the pee hole then as the stats open up. There should be an exhust/water port on the midsection back side that should have water spiting out of them at idle and till the stats open up. Repair manuals can be bought on this site for your motor at less $, than Mercury ones, or many other sites. The water pump impeler has a key, that has to go on the drive shaft, that causes the impeler to run any time the motor is running. I don't know about the cooling system flush plug as the motors are built in several locations. The screw on the side of the LU near the cavition plate is for venting the LU when putting LU greese in it or draining it for repairs and storage. The fill/drain plug is below the gears on the side also. Make sure that they have good sealing washers on them also, as water will get into the LU if they are not sealed good. Never run the motor without having water to it as it will ruien a impeller in a heartbeat.

Have FUN boating and BE SAFE,

Oldman570

i put water on before i even turn the engine on. it takes about 15-20 before water comes out of my
'pee" hole. when the water comes out at first it drip then air then drip then a line of water. like he said a clothes hanger would work. i would put my air compresor up to the hole and blast in there a few times. if its just dribbling still your water pump is going bad and you dont want to run the boat with a bad water pump or itll burn up and then no go lol hope that helped...

Thanks for everyones help i really appreciate it.
I took the boat out on the weekend the water was coming out the pee hole it was a stream of water just wasnt as strong as iv seen skiing behind some boats.
Do some boats expell more water than others?

diffrent engine sizes have diffent size water pumps and will put out more water then others. just like yamaha jetski have the rooster tail and other jet skis you dont see it. but ya the diffrent sizes will have diffrent amounts

Sometimes in my driveway I run my motor with the muffs until the pee water feels warm, then I know the thermostat is open. I shut the engine off, thread a garden hose to the pee hole recess threads, turn on the water and run the engine with a back-flush for a minute.

The water pump must alway be suppled with water to " lubricate and cool " the pump.----------If in doubt about the cooling system then install a new impeller and look at thermostats and poppit valves if so equipped.

Back