Logo

How do you start an old Outboard?

Mike McDonald

I know that questions sounds like I'm trolling but I'm not...

My wife wanted a boat for fishing our small 9K lake so she found one online, paid for it and had the old owners deliver it. This is what we got for an outboard on it...

Johnson SeaHorse 18 (1959) Model#fd-13

We are both taking our boating safety and getting licenses but we also don't know anything about outboards :(

I have looked around online and it seems that this motor is a "Classic / Antique" so getting a manual isn't going to be cheap.. but in the meantime.. How do you even start one of these and how do you control it.

All the old man selling it said was to mix the fuel 20 to 1.

I've got a manual on order but it's gonna take a few weeks, I'd like to know if this thing works and have access to the lake easily to test it, but I don't know what I'm doing.

If someone could help by letting me know how to start it and how to control it I would truly be thankful!

Mike

Yeah I saw the manual on there for $19.99 + $10.95 shipping but it will still take a few weeks to get it where I Live.. and if the motor doesn't work, i would rather put that extra $30 into a new motor.

Thanks for the info but I hope there is still soemeone willing to help rather than point me to another manual :p

If you are so far out that it takes a few weeks to get the manual, how long will it take to get hard to find parts?
Is it electric or rope start?
I wouldn't consider starting until I did a compression test, checked for spark, then change the impeller, change the gear oil, and inspected all fuel components, and change anything that looked dry and cracked.

Fairly common motor ------------------Many parts were the same up to about 1977.-------------So parts are easy to get !!!----------Is the motor equipped with the pressure tank or has it been converted to run with a newer single line tank ???------Have you heard this motor run before the purchase.-----------------Good rugged motor if it has been properly run and maintained !!

Make sure you have your oil and gas mixed in the tank, back the boat into the lake, make sure there is water covering the lower unit at least 1/2 way up the motor, pump up the tank for fuel pressure, make sure the motor is in neutral, pull the choke, turn the throttle to open the carb, pull the start handle. if it starts and runs, push the choke back in if it did not retract on it's on. if not try again. Just go slow until you learn the system, remember to enjoy it.

It's a pull start. There seems to be instructions on the Motor itself.. it just doesn't tell you when you are supposed to pull the cord.. and since it's a cord pull I'm guessing I don't need to buy a battery.

I shouldn't have to get the motor stripped like people are suggesting because he was using it and maintaining it yearly.. he just had to sell it because it messes with something he got implanted to help his failing heart.

This is a shot of the instruction card...

DSC00298.jpg

Last edited:
You do not " pump up the tank " to get fuel pressure !!-------------You are pumping fuel into the motor and when the motor starts it pumps air into the tank.------Cap on tank must be closed.-----

In step 5 is where you pull the rope. The word start. They likely used the same instructions on the electric and manual start engines.
Good to hear he was using it. Good luck.

Back