Logo

Hot volvo Penta 270?

twainstar

Hot noticed the other day steam coming from the top of my 270 out drive. Put my hand on the top and it was hot. Hauled it, drained oil. Fairly clean, didn't smell like mineral gear oil but felt heavy? Removed prop shaft and gear to check slinger. Everything looked healthy no metal shavings. Slinger look good felt tight to shaft and drive gear. Next removed top cap on outdrive to visually inspect top drive bearing. Clean, no slop, no signs of running completely dry or over heated. The boat pumps raw water like a beast. Exhaust is moving water. Where to now? Any suggestions? thanks!

Last edited:
What oil are you using? The 270 should use the same oil grade as the engine (not gear oil).

Also, is the oil strainer plugged up?

On top under the top cap? Where exactly is it located? I did notice one top cap bolt is like a filler? And then another plug on the upper aft section when the shift arm is located. Whats your oil of choice? How warm should that upper housing get? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
1) On the lower gear unit. Part 39 in the link. Replace the three *** with the letters s e x without spaces (this site contais a politically correct filter ;) )

http://www.marinepart***press.com/V...SSIONS/LOWER GEAR UNIT AQ DRIVE UNIT 2(3).pdf

2) I have been using 15W40 and 10W30. But here is a VP chart with recommended oils.

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Penta/Misc/drive_2_oil_rec_7745608.pdf

3) You should be able to touch it without feeling hot, just warm.

4) If you don't know much about your outdrive or engine and you are going to do your own maintenance or repairs, consider obtaining and reading a manual (Seloc or OEM).

You just have to drain the oil and remove the lower unit, no big deal. Alternatively, just change the oil and see what happens.

The oil drain-back screen is only a portion of this.

An occasional problem occurs when heavy gear oil has been installed in lieu of the correct 30W oil......, and when the ambient temperature is cold.
The heavy viscosity gear oil causes the slinger pump an excessive work load......., and occasionally the die-cast aluminum impeller drive pins will shear off.
If you were to loose the slinger pump...... you'll have zero oil exchange from the cooler lower unit being pumped up to the transmission and gravity feeding back down.

In all of the years that I've been doing the AQ series drives, I've seen only a few with sheared impeller drive pins.
However, of the ones that have been sheared off, these drives have had gear oil in them.
The fix is easy.... but removing the broken off roll pins/spring pins can sometimes be challenging.

If you suspect this, you'll need to pull the prop shaft/bearing carrier and examine this in order to make sure that the lower unit "driven" gear is rotating the impeller.
If the drive has seen salt water, you may want to build yourself a carrier puller.
(this puller is being used on a DP lower..... same principle applies to s/p lower)

Attachments

• cut a way view of MDG Bearings.jpg
    cut a way view of MDG Bearings.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,144
  • Prop shaft carrier puller tool in use .jpg
    Prop shaft carrier puller tool in use .jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 3,051
Last edited:
Back